Saturday, December 13, 2008

Obligatory Nas vs. Jay Post



Find me, Virgin Islands
Crown Bay marina, '88 Filas
Marijuana aficianados, grade-A reefer
I ain't stressin' shit
This recession don't affect the rich
Count 100 G's in 100 degrees
But Mumia's locked up so none of us are free

.. Leave it to Esco to amp my mood up on a cold Saturday afternoon. I've always like Nas' ability to combine words and phrases that no one else could A. think of or B. use effectively. I might catch heat for this one from the Jigga dick-riders (I could understand why, he's arguably top 3), but their beef on wax sparked the never-ending discussion of Jay vs. Nas.

This is my take. Nas is more pure MC on the mic than Jay, he's a poet first - then a hustler. Jay's swagger is his best attribute, not to mention the rag-to-riches mentality that permeates his entire catalog a la Biggie Smalls.

Don't get me wrong, I love both dude's music - but Nas' lyrics intrigue me on a different level than most. Where Jay is flashy, Nas bears all - for better or worse. Jay's overall verses are more memorable because (usually) he flows better, but Nas' lyrics are too unique and thought-provokingto ignore.

I'm gonna disappoint y'all and declare that I can't decide between the two. My bad, it's just that I like 'em both too much to put the other down - their styles are too independent to compare.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. I grabbed the ultra rare video of the Queensbridge MC freestyling with the G.O.A.T. from my homegirl Shenda (thanks ma!) and I got my hands on a spankin' new Nas track featuring June called "Smoke," via Eskay.

Real heads recognize - relax and Enjoy!

Nas ft. June - Smoke ----->

No comments:

Post a Comment