Monday, November 12, 2007

R.I.P. Norman Mailer & Dr. Donda West, Plus Katt Williams Movie Preview & Jadakiss Screw-up Video!



(Norman Mailer, courtesy of the Academy of Achievement)

We don’t know the end—we could end with the failure of the good. Because if the good is guaranteed to win at the end, then we are engaged in a wrestling match, a fixed one. If goodness is assured an ultimate victory over evil, we are in a comedy, and I must say it is an ugly farce, considering how we suffer in the course of the contest.
-"A Conversation Between Norman Mailer and Michael Lennon on God, the Devil and Spiritual Beliefs," New York Magazine, October 15, 2007

It's difficult to face one's own mortality, especially when every day it seems like people can be gone in an instant. Today, I write about two sad stories that remind me how fragile life is.

First, Pulitzer Prize-winning writer & co-creator of the Village Voice Norman Mailer passed away this Saturday. Mailer was renowned (and widely criticized) for his written contributions to the New Journalism movement and blending of reporting practicies with fictional depictions of characters, a controversial literary technique at the time. His famous works include 1979's The Executioner's Song and non-fiction essays like The White Negro: Superficial Reflections on the Hipster.

The other tragic story is that of Kanye West's mother, Dr. Donda West. She was also his manager and my heart goes out to his family in this time.

Life must go on, so I want to talk about what I'm doing tomorrow. You can catch me at the Filmore at Irving Plaza in NYC getting a sneak peak at Katt Williams' new movie American Hustle. I'm crazy excited for this and to see if Money Mike makes an appearance. Check out an extended clip here and support the most luxurious entertainers in America.

The last thing I wanted to share is news that Jadakiss *cues that laugh* is now officially a member of the Roc la Familia. At the Hammerstein Ballroom last night, Jay-Z cut his new single "Roc Boys (And The Winner Is)" to bring out his newest rep. DJ Green Lantern cues "It's All About The Benjamins" but Jada starts buggin' that it's "Puff's song" then claims he can't remember the words on the spot to one of his biggest hits "The Champ Is Here." What was your last big single, 'Kiss, and I'm not talkin' a feature like the remix to "Wall to Wall." Interesting choice, Jigga - can't wait to see how this one plays out.

I'll leave you with the video to Jada's screw up last night..



Hey mama, I wanna scream so loud for you
Let me tell you what I'm about to do
Hey mama, I know I act a fool
But I promise you, I'm going back to school
I appreciate what you allowed for me
I just want you to be proud of me
-Kanye West, "Hey Mama," Late Registration

No comments:

Post a Comment